Gospel of the day: John 8:31-42 (March 24, 2021)


Gospel of the day: John 8:31-42 

March 24, 2021


A reading from the Holy Gospel according to John

Jesus and Abraham

Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you keep obeying my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

"But we are descendants of Abraham," they said. "We have never been slaves to anyone on earth. What do you mean, 'set free'?"

Jesus replied, "I assure you that everyone who sins is a slave of sin. A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will indeed be free. Yes, I realize that you are descendants of Abraham. And yet, some of you are trying to kill me because my message does not find a place in your hearts. I am telling you what I saw when I was with my Father. But you are following the advice of your father."

Our father is Abraham," they declared.

"No," Jesus replied, "for if you were children of Abraham, you would follow his good example. I told you the truth I heard from God, but you are trying to kill me. Abraham wouldn't do a thing like that. No, you are obeying your real father when you act that way."

They replied, "We were not born out of wedlock! Our true Father is God himself."

Jesus told them, "If God were your Father, you would love me because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me.

The Gospel of the Lord.


Reflection

The Gospel today talks about freedom. Jesus came to the world to do the will of God our Father. It is to free us from our sins. Jesus offers true freedom. In the gospel, Jesus stated that the real disciples are the ones who obey his teachings. But the people don't believe on him as they claimed that they are the descendants of Abraham. They didn't believe that they will be free once they know the truth. Jesus is already introducing himself as the Son of God but the people was blind to see the message of Jesus. They keep on believing that Abraham was their Father. Jesus was not accepted because the people didn't know the truth, the truth that Jesus is the Son of God. He was sent bythe Father to help them to be free from their sins. But, they ignored the message of Jesus and ignored the truth. 

The gospel reminds us  that we must hold the truth that Jesus gives because it is the only way to be fully free. He will help us to be free from our sins. Let's ask ourselves: Do I really know the truth? Do I believe that the truth will set me free? Let's embrace the truth. If we really know who is our Father, then we also know His Son, Jesus Christ, who was crucified on the cross to save us. Open your mind and heart to know and love Jesus, for he is the way, the truth, and the life that will set us free.

Comments

Popular Posts